The first step towards getting an integrated view of your fans is to organize, structure, and cleanse your data. This first step requires gathering data from within your department – such as ticketing and athletic foundation donations, as well as profile records from across campus including alumni, faculty and staff, and university advancement donors.
To develop a 360-degree view of your fans, it’s critical to find the connections in your existing data:
- What is their connection with the school? Are they a local resident, a recent alumnus, or perhaps the parent of a current student? Fan segmentation begins recognizing the distinct needs and interests of these groups.
- Where do they live? Where do they work? What is their life-stage or family status? Demographic elements shape their priorities and behaviors, and enables modeling and predictive analytics.
- Which sports are they most passionate about and follow the closest? Their zeal for specific teams provides a basis for targeted communication and appeals.
- Which events do your fans purchase tickets for? How frequently? Changes in purchase behavior reveals shifts in engagement levels and potential for outreach.
- How many tickets do they purchase? What area of the venue? Upsell opportunities exist to turn single game buyers into mini-plan purchasers or help upper-level seat holders get closer to the action.
- For season ticket holders, do they attend regularly, let tickets go unused or resell their tickets? Fan attendance patterns reveals early warning signs in season ticket holder retention.
- Do they donate to athletics or overall university advancement? Campaign results reveal that current donors are 3-5x more likely to respond to a ticket sales campaign than non-donors.
- Is their giving increasing? Do they have certain areas they are most passionate about? Aligning communication with their areas of interest ensure that messages get read and prompt action.
- How frequently do your fans donate? Changes in frequency and amounts are early indicators of shifts in lifestyle or interests.
Your department’s operations are centered around enhancing engagement in order to drive revenue growth. Gaining a 360-degree view of your fans will help you perform advanced analytics and predictive modeling to target them more effectively.